19 December 2015

Flowers for Algernon

I just finished reading Flowers for Algernon. The book's an interesting read. The only part I didn't much care for was the fiasco at the academic conference. (Having attended conferences, the description struck me as much too contrived.) There have been a number of adaptations, such as a recent Japanese TV series with the same title (アルジャーノンに花束を). Watching some of the first episode, it looks like it follows the main plot line with at least a few innovations. There's also an episode (Season 12, 9th episode) of the Simpsons and a 1968 film Charly (both of which I have yet to see) based on the story.

1 comment:

Karlo said...

I did finally watch the 1968 film but wasn't able to finish it. I didn't much care what they did with the story. Part of this, I'd agree, is simply that the film's dated, but I also don't think they did a good job. I did watch all the Japanese episodes and really liked their version (even more than the book).