17 January 2014

Welcome to sleeznet

With the latest ruling, net neutrality is apparently dead. This is really tragic news since most of us rely on the Internet for virtually all our media these days. Personally, I have no TV and no phone since I've replaced these with Netflix and Skype. All the news I read is on the Internet. So now, companies like Verizon (a sleazy company if there ever was one) can slow access to any website in order to support paying customers and punish competitors. If they don't want you to read this post, they can slow the site down, making it take an hour to load. These days, the ever sleazier ethical standards seem to be infecting everything. I was prompted the other day to update Adobe Flash (which I need to view Netflix and Facebook) and without warning, the program installed some version (a trial version?) of the McAfee virus checker onto my computer. There was no opt out button or choice to install manually and the program never even told me it was doing so. I'd expect this sort of thing from some sleazy shareware site but am shocked to see even mainstream sites using these tactics. Then we have all the latest moves by Google and Facebook to take ownership (and put into commercial use!) content that we put on our sites. I'm really hoping that this leads to a movement to set up wireless servers with their own grid (and higher ethical standards).

2 comments:

Tom Harper said...

"I'm really hoping that this leads to a movement to set up wireless servers with their own grid (and higher ethical standards)."

I think that's exactly what will happen if too many millions of Internet users keep getting screwed over. There's too much constant innovation in this field. The Internet isn't a newspaper or a physical product of any kind that can be hoarded and monopolized by a few greedy companies.

Satsu Imo said...

I'd be all for that happening.