15 May 2013

Norwegian Wood

This was the third novel from Murakami that I read. I really liked this book. I made the mistake of watching the movie first, which made it hard to imagine the characters being any different from those in the film. That said, the film director actually does a pretty good job of following the book closely in just about every detail. Only a few subplots have been omitted, for example, Reiko Ishida's (石田 玲子)  story. In both the book and the film, Midori's a very appealing character--brutally honest with a great sense of humor and a real zest for life. The story strikes me as being quite profound, and the sexual interactions woven into the plot really help to accent the central theme of the novel. I'm now slowly making my way through the book in the original Japanese.

No comments: