28 March 2011

Recent flix

For what it's worth, my take on recent movies:
Barney's Version: A sappy crass comedy that may be worth watching eventually on Netflix if you're a bit lit up and there's really nothing more to watch. On the bright side, this time the Canadians are responsible for churning out this formulaic crapulum.
Limitless: Just as everyone says, this is a lot of fun. Not a great philosophical treatise, but continuous fun nevertheless. Cooper is very well-cast here and De Niro (who doesn't really appear that often) is great as well.
The Adjustment Bureau: For the romantics who can wrap their heads around Christian cosmology, this is watchable. Personally, angels and shallow debates about free-will don't do much for me, but I'm willing to admit this is a personal bias. It's hard to make a completely unwatchable film with Matt Damon.

2 comments:

mister anchovy said...

I enjoyed Limitless. It was a fun movie. On the other hand, I thought The Adjustment Bureau was an unwatchable stinkeroo. Have't see Barney's Version, but I have decided it's about time I read a novel by Richler, so I've started Solomom Gursky was Here.

Vancouver Voyeur said...

I'm a romantic but "Adjustment Bureau" was just okay for me. I haven't seen "Limitless" yet, but I may see either that or "The Lincoln Lawyer" this weekend.