24 July 2009

A disorderly post

For me, the most disturbing aspect of the recent arrest of Henry Gates Jr. is that fact that it involved a disorderly conduct charge. Gates wasn't arrested for breaking into his own house, but for not being sufficiently polite to a policeman. I keep trying to wrap my mind around the idea that someone gets called to investigate a crime that never occurred but then feels they can justify arresting the person, who is innocent, because they're offended. I still don't see what public good is served in arresting someone on their own porch for being "disorderly."

2 comments:

ddadmin said...

Wow!! I never thought that this will be such a big news. It went from Gates arrest to Obama apalogy. This has become more interesting than what I thought. So, I collected all the sites or articles (more than 250 sites or articles) related to this hot topic "Cambridge Police Unit Demands Apology from Obama". If you are interested take a look at news, video coverage, people views and reviews on this topic at the below link.
http://markthispage.blogspot.com/2009/07/all-about-cambridge-police-unit-demands.html

Comrade Kevin said...

I was taught to never lie, nor challenge a police officer. It might not be fair, but it's the quickest way to avoid being arrested, even if the charges are later dropped.