15 August 2008

The dirty dozen

The Environmental Working Group has ranked veggies and fruits by the amount of pesticide residue each contains.

The group's "dirty dozen" are peaches, apples, sweet bell peppers, celery, nectarines, strawberries, cherries, lettuce, grapes (imported), pears, spinach, and potatoes.

The "cleanest 12" are onions, avocados, sweet corn (frozen), pineapples, mangos, sweet peas (frozen), asparagus, kiwis, bananas, cabbage, broccoli, and eggplants.

I've also read that peanuts and strawberries are also to be avoided because of molds.

2 comments:

P. E. Nolan said...

Some years ago, my brother the photojournalist followed a vat of pesticide outlawed in the US down to Mexico where it was sprayed on the produce. The produce was harvested, packed on a truck and sent back to the US.

Since I live in New York City, I figure walking down Broadway puts enough carcinogens in our lungs to kill us daily, but many of my young students' parents insist on organic snacks in our privileged nursery school. I'm all for local, organic farming because the food tastes better, and when I can afford it (since I'm a teacher not an investment banker) I go for organic every time. But only because of the taste. Life itself is hazardous to our health, so we may as well enjoy it to the best of our sensory abilities while we can.

Karlo said...

I agree that too much can be made of organic foods. I'm sure that my house and the outside environment are full of toxins that I inhale and get on my skin every day. The list is actually really useful. There's no point in buying organic if it's veggies that don't pose a threat anyway.