6 March 2006

Movies great and mediocre

I was happy to see Crash win Best Picture at the Academy Awards. I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain so I can't compare the two, but I thought that the endless whining and wringing of hands by critics about the depiction of race relations in Crash verged on the infantile, making me wonder if it's simply impossible to say anything substantial about the issue in the current politically-correct environment. That said, the film isn't really all that controversial. All it really does is show (in a very clever and artistic way) that there's more to reality than meets the eye.

Last night, I rented Flight Plan. I hate to mention the film in the same post as Crash (although there's probably something clever I could say, using the metaphor for a "crash"). But to be fair, the film is watchable. At Blockbuster, I couldn't resist renting the film simply for its Khafkaesque premise. Having seen the film, I'm still not sure that the denouement really makes sense of the whole story but I suppose we shouldn't think too much of such things. Jodi Foster is starting to fall into the same character in virtually all her films. She's had one hell of a career though. Being the sci-fi lover that I am, I particularly liked her movie Contact.

1 comment:

Reel Fanatic said...

Not much to add .... just that after seeing "Crash" I thought it was easily the weakest of the best picture nominees, and the worst winner since "Driving Miss Daisy .. good blog, though