28 February 2006

Today's weather--a cold day in hell

It always sends shivers up my spine when I find myself agreeing with George Will. At this rate, it won't be long before all my friends insist I change the name of my blog and move across the tracks.


The following exchange, I am told by those who possess a cable connection, occurred recently on ABC's This Week:

STEPHANOPOULOS: What does civil war look like?
WILL: This. This is a civil war.


Later, Will even questioned whether Iraq can even be said to have a government:

Now, does Iraq have a government? Let me just postulate the question. A government exists when it has a reasonable monopoly on the legitimate use of violence. As long as the militias are out there, the existence of an Iraqi government is questionable. Think of Los Angeles. If Los Angeles said the Bloods and the Crips are going to be tolerated, they’re going to be armed and police their areas and enforce the law in certain areas, what sense would Los Angeles have of government?

I guess the Iraqis are getting a taste of democracy a la shrub--based on the idea that when all's said and done, those with the money (or the guns purchased with the money) are going to rule.

2 comments:

Ole Blue The Heretic said...

So the guys with the biggest guns wins, then forms a dictatorship just like we thought would happen during the fist gulf war.

Bush has a unique perspective on what a democracy looks like.

Karlo said...

I get the feeling that it'll look a lot like it did before the war--except that there will be even greater violence against the innocent and more American money spent on war-profiteers.