14 September 2005

Some Reflections on the State of the Republic

At this juncture of our republic's history, it's interesting to ponder a few lines from James Madison and consider just how far the current "conservatives" have diverged from those who designed the Constitution:

Of all the enemies of public liberty, war is perhaps the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies. From these proceed debts and taxes. And armies, debts and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the dominion of the few.... No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.

If the so-called War on Terror doesn't count as "continual warfare" producing "debts and taxes," somebody please tell me what does. I think the "neocons" need to take the "con" out of their moniker and just call themselves "neos."

Or consider this from ol' Ben Franklin:

Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

What would Franklin have to say about the so-called Patriot Act, ducktape, and daily color-coded "terror" alert warnings?

And can you guess who said the following?

Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it was Chomsky

Gleyes said...

Hi, Karlo. It's been awhile since I've heard from you. It's almost providential that I should be visiting your blog today. I think you might be interested to read today's entry on mine in light of what you've published on yours. I've had a visit from my friends at Homeland Security ferreting out domestic terrorism. I've been considered many things, but, a threat to domestic security has never been among them. Today has been an epiphany for me. I am now a FORMER supporter of the Patriot Act. I will be changing my political party affiliation from Republican to Independent and I'm inclined to take back every compliment I've ever given George Bush. Mind you, I place a very high premium on loyalty. That mine has been so badly shaken is...I can't find a word. 9/11 shook my feeling of safety here at home. Now I find I can't even trust my own government to safeguard what I thought were freedoms guaranteed to me by my Constitution. Freedom of expression and speech lies at the core of democracy. It's the free exchange of ideas that has always defined and shaped our democracy. Today, I felt a chill on that most basic of my freedoms...I fear for our future.

Karlo said...

Independent's a good place to be. We should all vote independent and get rid of the current bunch of plutocrats along with those in the Democratic Party. I say we elect the plumber who lives down the street as president and the garbage man as vice president. What the hell. Why don't we try having a government of the people for the people. It's really quite a radical notion.

Karlo said...

BTW, the last quote is from Chomsky.

Gun-Toting Liberal said...

I absolutely ABHOR the Patriot Act; and RealID is even scarier. Great post, Karlo. I wholeheartedly agree with your statement that we should ALL remain independent voters, and should continue to insist upon a "government of the People, for the People, and BY the People"...

Blog ON...