17 January 2005

Gumption as a left-wing value

Mick has rightfully chastised me for my previous post listing the assorted medley of my favorite films. The list--put forth in a tongue-and-cheek manner--certainly doesn't represent any high-brow considerations of art but rather is a rating purely based on what I happened to enjoy. However, I take issue with his comments on Forrest Gump in that I think that the idea that the movie merely touts a Republican message is a bit harsh. When I hear the film referred to as "Republican," I can't help but feel that we on the left have allowed the right to hijack the left's rightful place as the politics of those who work. I want to tear my hair out when I hear working-class people calling into talk shows supporting Bush because they feel that the Republican Party supports the working man, the average Joe who overcomes his troubles through gumption instead of relying on others. The left needs to reinlist the Forrest Gumps of the popular imagination in support of its own cause. The left isn't some mamby-pamby group of lazy slobs asking for a hand-out. Historically, it's the political faction that has supported the hard-working people who have built the material edifice of society. The lazy slobs are the Bush's of the world--the aristocratic elites who feel that they should receive endless hand-outs from everyone else simply out of respect for their position as owners of capital.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Don't make Forrest Gump political. Please. The movie should not be talked about like that at all.

Karlo said...

Why do you say that Kevin?

Dave said...

Work is fine, but it shouldn't be idolized. And as a lazy slob, I protest your characterization of lazy slobs as Republicans. I'd like to remind you that the song "Hallelujah, I'm a Bum" was one of the most popular anthems in the IWW songbook.

Karlo said...

I'm protesting against the rich moochers. And I still think the Forrest Gumps of the world should all be leftists.