3 November 2004

Post-election Blogging

Doug Ireland has an excellent analysis of why Kerry lost the election:
  • Lack of vision (I would agree with this. There was a notable difference between Gore, with his proposals to create jobs through a shift to cleaner fuels, for example, and Kerry's muddling proposals. Of course, Kerry had to inherit Bush's huge deficit.)
  • Failure to focus sharply on the economy
  • Kerry's original vote for the war (Fatally handicapping any of his attempts to criticize Bush's handling of it.)

At Ratboy's Anvil, Cul expresses his disgust as he wakes up to the realization that we're no longer living in a secular democracy. "Given the US position of raw power in the world, the idea that it will form policies based on the exclusionary and irrational belief systems of people who embrace notions like the Rapture is appalling."

The Village Gate blames the Democrats themselves for "taking corporate money, using Republican vocabulary, playing on Republican turf, insulting conservatives, and basically doing anything and everything to perpetuate and further negative perceptions of liberals and Democrats by most of the country: namely, that we're out of touch and not a credible-enough alternative to George W. Bush. Enough of the Democratic Losers Council. Enough of choosing Democratic Party nominees based on electability. Enough. Time to reclaim liberalism, retail politics, connecting with ordinary folks, and overwhelmingly ethical grass-roots-based political behavior."

Rook's Rant expresses doubt that the rest of the world will put up with Bush's go-it-alone nationalism for another 4 years.

At Ease has an excellent post looking back at what went wrong and looking forward to what needs to be done. After looking at possible reasons for the loss--conservative Christians, the entrenched Republican media machine, corporate contributions, the U.S. voting system, a lack of unity among liberals, and the power of Republican spin, Michael concludes:

I will not roll over to the will of the far right. So I'm stuck in a precarious position. What I will be focusing from now on are how policies affect people rather than how Bush (or anyone else) affects policy. Additionally, I plan on actually getting out and doing more for people. I need to make a difference while I'm still around to make a difference, and as I've found out in this election, what I had been doing doesn't make the difference I'd like it to make.

So my promise to myself is first to learn. Learn about those things that the US does that affect things that happen to people in the US and abroad. I need to learn about those policies that allow corporations to have such a vast influence on people's lives and how things could be different or better. Second is to do. I need to get out into my community and help in whatever way I can. I'm not sure what form that will take just yet, but I have to start somewhere. Finally, I need to share. I need to be an example of what the left really is or what it can be.


And finally, this poem (via Viking Zen:
Lunar Eclipse

The God of Shadows eats the harvest moon
And dulls with bloody tinge his shining head,
Perhaps foretelling victory for him
Whose states and shires bear the noble red.

As ancients learned in bygone days long past
Such signs and portents cannot be gainsaid
The heavens speak, if silently, each night
The Blue can only view with growing dread!


by Jeffrey Hull

1 comment:

Viking Zen said...

Hey Karlo- I agree with At Ease. Perhaps this doesn't have to be completely disastrous, after all. Perhaps it will shake us all into action. I wrote something about that too, and am finding that a lot of people in the blogsphere feel the same way. Now we have to see if that impetus wears off, or if we make good on our word to do something.
VZ