24 September 2004

Beheadings and shark attacks

Net Politik discusses the recent beheading incidents:

Beheadings no longer have a spark in the blogosphere. Now, some readers might accuse me of being tasteless for saying such things. I ask those readers to consider the fact that the truth has neither tastes, nor 'values:' it simply is, regardless of how we feel about it. That consideration brings me to my main point: To the average American, Iraq is now just another re-run.

Our minds cannot help the fact that they filter out familiar information. News of bombs, deaths, and chaos in Iraq is now filtered out like street sounds to someone sleeping in New York. This might explain why Kerry's attack against Bush's war is causing so little of an effect on the polls. Frankly, Bush's "its gonna turn out alright" is more soothing than Kerry's 'We're screwed'.


Myself, having been unplugged from the matrix of TV news and talk radio as of late, have only heard of the rash of beheadings through the internet. Unlike many, I have no interest in actually viewing one of the video clips. I can imagine these incidents are gruesome, as so many things are in war. And I fully expect them to continue. The war, after all, isn't just fought in far-away cities over territory. The insurgents clearly want to make sure that the war continues to be newsworthy. Physically cutting off someone's head elicits primal fear and curiosity, much like a shark attack. In terms of the human suffering caused, I'm sure it doesn't rank as high as many methods of killing. Many people must be dying right now in piles of rubble, terrified as they watch their own lives slip away.

In the end, I realize that we in the U.S. will have to live with the repercussions of this war. Many people are dying (mostly innocent Iraqis)--and these deaths are especially tragic in light of Shrub and company's mendacity leading up to the conflict. I see little light at the end of the tunnel. I've been in countries a decade or two after major conflicts and have found that such wars often leave tremendous emotional scars on the people.

7 comments:

RanDomino said...

http://www.exile.ru/2003-August-24/war_nerd.html

An excellent synopsis of this administration's, and indeed our populace's, ineptness and irresponsibility.

Karlo said...

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Diana said...

I don't understand why so many people watch the video of the beheading. It's like watching a snuff film. From what I've seen on the boards, it seems that those who say they've watched it are of the far right persuasion. They seem to find proof in it that "terrorists" are "baaaaad" people and somehow this translates into further justifications for the war in Iraq.

Karlo said...

I've heard these incidents used as the basis for believing the Muslims (or Islamofascist, to use the current right-wing jargon) are evil and thus must be destroyed. Of course, no one stops to ask, if this is the case, why the U.S. has toppled one of few secular regimes in the region while remaining allied with the most repressive Islamic regimes such as Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. If the goal is to promote democracy in the region, the House of Saud and the Kuwaiti royal family would seem to be strange allies (as would Chalabi, who was convicted of major fraud, or Allawi--a major thug). But what would I know. I don't speak with a Texas accent after all and I didn't grow up with a daddy and friends who could give me endless cash and companies. The world of royalty and corruption is a bit abstract for me and most other Americans. Shrub is, I suppose, much more of an expert on such matters.

Mick said...

Beheadings are the official Saudi form of execution. Not to downplay the emotional price of watching one, but there's a distinctly political tone to their use that simply isn't read here but has enormous impact all over the Arab Middle East. It's a definite slap in the face aimed at the House of Saud's cozy relationship with the US as much as it is a terror-tool.

Karlo said...

This is a bit off topic, but I remember reading about the War of 1812, at how most Americans were appalled by the possibility of joining forces with France due to the gruesome Paris violence and few years before and Napolean's brutality. I suppose the guillotine was also designed to make a political statement of sorts. (As I write this, however, it occurs to me that I have no idea when France started using this draconian form of punishment.)

cat said...

Cat, Cat families,nformation about cats and kittens Cat health, best way to keep your cat healthyCats behavior, All about Cats behavior Cat picture,yahoo Shopping is the best Crystal Orange Cat PictureCat Sound, Control of Sound Localization in the Cat Cat Name, Name for the Domestic Cat. Category provided on google Cat Home, About Cat. HomeCat Power, Cat Power find on msn EncartaFunny Cat, Do you have a funny Cat Picture Cat Eyes, view the world through the eyes of a catCat Tattoos, Cat Tattoos ShopCat Women,