- Poor workers should vote. (Although Shipler concedes that few voters actually vote their class interests, or for that matter, correctly understand what class they belong to!)
- The US should create a higher minimum wage.
- Workers should unionize.
- Those who are not college bound should get vocational training.
- The government should do more to provide adequate health insurance coverage, etc.
- Government efforts to help the poor should receive better funding.
Lastly, I did find one admiral quote from the book (p. 299).
"The liberal conservative divide is not only about how big government should be; it is also about what government should do."
For our conservative friends, this is a no-brainer: Buy expensive military hardware; launch pre-emptive wars; subsidize companies such as Halliburton that have close ties with the government and third-world kleptocrats; and shout class-warfare whenever anyone complains.